Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Disappointment Personal Essay

In life we all face many disappointing circumstances. Sometime when we take chances and step outside of our comfort zone, we are met with disappointment. A particular time in my life when I faced displeasure was when I sang a solo performance for a Christmas Program a couple years ago. I was only thirteen at the time and had not yet gained complete confidence in my voice, and range of vocal capability. I was on program to sing Midnight, a gospel by collaborating artist Brent Jones and Coco. The song always reminds me that I can and should call on God in the good and bad times because he more than just a way maker. It is one of my favorite songs and I was more than excited to be able to sing it for a church audience that would understand and appreciate it. At the beginning of the performance and slightly before it, I truly felt prepared. I had been to the multiple rehearsals and had practiced with the audio CD I was to use on the day of the performance as a background track because the pianists hadn’t been able to make it to rehearsals and was said to not be coming to the program. Thus, I was shocked on the day of the performance to see him rush into the pianists chair and begin to play the melody of the song. In thinking that the track would begin I waited to perform. I later looked back and saw his signal to begin singing. Fearful with the feeling of unpreparedness, I began to sing. The disappointment didn’t stop there. It was a very cold night and cold weather harms your vocal chords. He played the piano it tunes I was unable to reach and I felt myself going out my vocal range to match the key notes. I squeaked at the bridge of the song and felt my heart sink. Knowing my own capability, I knew that I could have and have already sung better than that.  After the performance I felt so disappointed, both in myself and the failing communication system of the program directors to let us know that they would not be playing the audio track I had brought.

No comments:

Post a Comment