Monday, October 18, 2010

A time when I was happy

Happiness comes in many forms. Many people are on a daily pursuit to happiness. Though one can find joy in different people, places, and situations, I believe that true happiness comes from within. There are plenty of distinct things that come to mind when I reminisce on joyous times. A particular time was when I won seventy five dollars in a money raffle. A few years ago, I performed a play/ dance for a breast cancer awareness luncheon. Aside from participating in the luncheon, I helped as a hostess at the luncheon. One of my many jobs was to be in charge of the raffle by selling and passing out tickets, and then picking the names. My mother had bought tickets for her and I, so I didn’t have to worry about being the raffle myself. The raffle was a money a raffle for either a fifty, seventy-five, or one hundred dollar cash prize. I don’t ever win any of the items in raffles, so I didn’t expect this time to be any different. The director of the luncheon called me and few other girls up to help pick names for the raffle. We all gathered around, and waited as they got settled for us to pick names. I looked out into the crows as people frantically held their ticket stubs as though they were in a drawing for the super lottery. We pulled a few names that; I assume left the luncheon early, because no one came up to claim their prize. We went on, and one of the other hostess girls drew a name from the large bowl for the fifty dollar cash prize. One woman near the back of the room screaming frantically, yelling: “That’s me! That’s me!”, another hostess came up and took the envelope with the cash inside and gave it to the over joyous woman. I was next to draw a name, I dipped my hand in the bowl and drew out a name. To my surprise it was my own. I smiled in disbelief, and accepted the prize. My happiest moment wasn’t winning the cash prize, but what I did with that money. With the money I was given, I gave to my friend who I knew was struggling with financial issues at the time. Seventy five dollars may not have been enough, but it was enough to make a substantial difference in her situation. She cried and thanked me for what I had done. She returned to school the next day, saying that the money truly helped her situation and it truly eased some of the problems she was facing. My happiness that day came from knowing that someone that I cared about was happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment