Friday, December 3, 2010

Community A Better Place

I aspire to us it toward bettering the community I grew up in. My environment has allowed me to see the increasing health decline of minorities. African Americans are statistically ranked among the highest at risk for diseases like diabetes. My family has a history of health problems, one major one being diabetes. My grandmother struggles with type two diabetes, a problem that could have been prevented or better managed with proper diet and exercise. I have observed the devastating physical and emotional effects of this disease and I aspire to use my degree to educate others on the value of being healthy.

In school I already work toward promoting better nutrition by writing the health and fitness articles for our school newspaper. I discuss ways for teens to maintain a healthy lifestyle by eating right and exercising. I feel that if you reach people at a young age you can lessen their chances of being at risk as adults..  My church community has had a further influence on my aspirations teaching me the biblical benefits of a healthy diet. I have gotten involved in spreading my knowledge about the importance of healthy eating by participating in nutrition workshops, emphasizing the vitality and beneficial effects of healthier lifestyles. I was able to help promote nutrition by preparing healthy meals and serving them to the people in the workshops. I have furthermore promoted healthy living by working in my churches food pantry that encourages a balanced diet. I truly value that I have had the opportunity to serve my community hands on by participating in organizations and workshops speaking on the scientific and biblical benefits on diet. Whether through writing, speaking, giving or cooking my family, school, and church community have all encouraged my dream of seeing my environment become healthier. For this reason I aspire to give back to a community that has given so much to me. I plan to do this by creating programs and fitness centers. I would love to open a restaurant or gym and be able to promote my dream even further.

No comments:

Post a Comment