Friday, December 3, 2010

My Elders

In order to know your future you must first embrace your past. Our elders are a great link to learning about our past so we can better our future. With the hope of preserving things like our ancestry, it is imperative that we ask questions, and communicate with our elders. We should ask questions to gain knowledge and get advice about the things we do not understand. My grandmother always has words of wisdom and is always able to help me understand the different social or religious issues I face even with our huge age difference. She has been through many of the same things I have from relationships, to high school, and more and I have a lot to learn from her experiences. If I want to know about my past I ask my grandmother who my ancestors are. What I am mixed with? And where did we come from? I am so interested in knowing everything about my people and hearing their testimonies and advice about life. The last questions i ask my grandmother is what advice she has for me based on what she learned in her life. What can she do to help me? Can I learn from her experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment