Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Learning the language

I love to travel and have fortunately had the opportunity to travel abroad already. Prior to traveling outside of the country, I had to learn the Portuguese language.  Learning a new language allowed me to grow intellectually and I truly enjoyed the difference in Portuguese from English. I was even able to find similarities in Portuguese to Spanish.  I plan to study abroad in college as well. I know that I will have to learn the language of whatever country I visit and I plan to use similar steps I did before going to Brazil to prepare for the other countries I visit. I will take classes either online or in a live classroom setting. However, that may not be the quickest way to learn the language unless I took class everyday or for long periods of time. Another way to learn the language quick would be to talk to others who already are fluent in it. For example, before going to Brazil I practiced Portuguese with my sister who is already fluent in it. That really helped me learn the pronunciation and correct way to use the words I did not understand online or in the books. Though books did not help in pronouncing the words correctly it served as a spelling quiz and study to learning the language. I was able to take it everywhere and even look at it on the plane ride to Brazil. Once I Got there I was familiar with what wards looked like and was able to reflect back on what I saw in the book and understand what different signs or menus or directions read.  In traveling out of the country again I plan to use a multitude of sources to help me learn the language as fast as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment