Monday, September 27, 2010

The oldest person I know

The oldest person I know is an elder at my church who is 101 years old. She is a wheelchair bound , woman with  a soft voice and a soft and loving heart. Unable to remember her name, I will never forget the day i met her. It was at a birthday party at my churc. She was rolling out as I was entering the church gym. I saw her exiting and decided to help her as much as I could. She began a conversion by asking me how old i thought she was. At the time I was unaware of her age. I answered her question replying 75. She laughed and replied " I'm 101 years old"/. I gasped at her response. I ad never met anyone over 98 before. One distinct story she sshared with me while helping her to her car was that te first time she ever saw an airplane she was picking cotton on a feild,. After her story I told her how old I was. Previously that day I had thought of my self as a someone who was almost an adult, but after talking with her I felt otherwise. She gave me advice to always be strong and have self respect for myself and respect for others, to be wise and willing to learn. Also,  to loving and live in the present not the future, but not to allow that to stop me from dreamaing. It was truly a blessing to talk with her and still is a blessing to she her frequently whe nshe can make it to church. I hope and pray that i live to see 101 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment